Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Third Thanksgiving

Well, I have to tell you, I could not have been more nervous than I was this morning. In fact, I was so overwrought I called my husband at work and asked him if he thought I could still count as NPO today even though I had a few sips of water upon waking. For anyone reading this who has not had the pleasure of multiple D&C's, "NPO" means "nil per os," or "nothing by mouth," the condition you have to be in if you're going to undergo anesthesia. He wasn't sure, but didn't think that the water would count against me. So even though I was ravenous with hunger/ tipsy with nausea, I went to my ultrasound appointment this morning on an empty stomach. Just, you know, to be prepared.

And in fact, to break out a better-loved acronym, NBHHY. The baby measured 9 weeks 1 day with a continued strong heartbeat. There was some concern about the rate of uterine expansion as well as an on-the-shorter-side cervix. I may need to go back for another scan in a few days, because the cervix at any rate could be supported with cerclage if necessary. (Not sure if “cerclage” is spelled right; spell-check suggests “corkage” as an alternative, which I suppose does get the point across!) Still, all things considered, it was the best scan I could have hoped for, certainly the best scan I personally have ever seen at 9 weeks.

The best part was seeing the "baby" (all 2 millimeters or so) moving in there. It seemed to be head butting the uterine wall, or maybe even kissing it-- to me it looked like a gentle motion. It was a wild, wild sight, something I've never been able to see before. I'm feeling teary just writing about it. The fact remains that I may not have much longer with this baby. And I really am near the end of my rope pregnancy and miscarriage wise. So I'm doing the best I can to appreciate what I have.

Amazing, but this is the third Thanksgiving in a row that I will spend pregnant. In spite of everything, I do feel grateful right now. And I plan to be TPO (that would be Turkey Per Os) come Thursday.

As I give thanks this year, I will be thinking of all of you lovely loyal friends in the computer, strangers who have given so much of yourselves and helped me so much in the last months and years. I tend to find both Christmas and Easter, with their child-centered traditions and their origins in fertility festivals, incredibly depressing. But Thanksgiving is one holiday that infertility hasn't ruined for me (yet). I hope it will be a good one for all of you, no matter where you are on the road to parenthood.

11 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm really hoping for continued good things. Nine weeks and fetal movement are both very good things.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! How wonderful to get such great news and to see the bean moving around in there--especially when you were anticipating a potential D & C this morning! Congratulations on passing an important milestone, Anne. You and Baby Bigelow made it safely to 9 weeks! I couldn't be happier or more relieved for you.

That said, I know that you don't feel like you can let your guard down yet, and I totally understand that. But I am so thankful that NBHHY and that you made it past the time where you have had so much trouble in the past.

I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving (and that you're not too pukey to enjoy some of the food)!

Anonymous said...

That's super! I'm so glad you got past your previous marker and that NBHHY. New territory is good. You sound so relieved :)

Have a lovely Thanksgiving. Thank you for updating so quickly--I've been clicking and wondering. So very glad it's good progress.

Anonymous said...

Giant phew. I was very worried about you today. And while I know you're still watching very closely, it's so nice to hear the encouraging report. Movement. How wonderfully amazing. Still, I hope you get to experience even bigger and better things with this one - for months and years to come.

DeadBug said...

Thank goodness. I was on tenterhooks waiting for the news and can only imagine the fear and and relief this day must have brought you.

Best to you and the tenacious little one.

--Bugs

Anonymous said...

Such a relief to hear ... my eyes also got teary while reading. Hope you can bask for the next few days anyway. I know how the anxiety can refuse to go. But so so good to hear this news. Happy Thanksgiving.

Susie said...

Big milestone! Congratulations on the great ultrasound. I so hope everything continues to go well for you.

Enjoy your thanksgiving. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness NBHHY. I so hope this baby decides to stick around, and i'm glad you're feeling optimistic about thanksgiving. I hope it's a wonderful one for you.

erinberry said...

What great news!

"Corkage" cracked me up :)

Anonymous said...

Great news, Anne! I've been following on Bloglines to make sure you're OK (I've been away and have had limited access) but now I wanted to say I'm so happy for you! May things continue to go swimmingly for you and Big. May this Thanksgiving be the start of something wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oops -- I meant to sign that "Kath." I'm a bit confused these days!