Thursday, March 13, 2008

Chimerical Pregnancy

Well, shockingly, I'm officially not pregnant. Aunt Flo arrived 3 days late, but carrying lots of luggage.

Three days late you say? Maybe you had the shortest possible chemical pregnancy (defined as a "pregnancy" that creates measurable levels of HCG, but never a visible embryonic sac--much less, of course, a baby). Nope. I tested on the day my period was due, with the most sensitive possible test, and--nada. Not even an evaporation line.

Oh, well, call it a hysterical pregnancy then, you say. No products of conception in that womb. Nothing by the products of your imagination.

But. I refuse to believe this either. There are certain very clear signs of pregnancy for me, and I had them. For example, I have a major issue with a food allergy in ordinary times, that disappears completely when I'm pregnant. Got accidentally exposed to my allergen (gluten) seven days after ovulation and had *no reaction* of any kind. Also experienced marked dizziness, breast soreness, red meat cravings, and assorted other personal telltale signs. Then, nine days after ovulation, all symptoms vanished. Poof. And then the black depressive PMS symptoms kicked in. So I knew it was time to abandon all hope.

On reflection, I honestly think that we did conceive a doomed mutant, the product of our feverish (but hardly hot) sex. Clever little monster wisely decided not to implant and my body rapidly adjusted accordingly. So, I'm inventing a new term: chimerical pregnancy.

Don't you dare call me crazy.

4 comments:

Thalia said...

If i say: extraordinarily unlikely, will you hate me forever? At day 7, there wouldnt' be enough hcg in your blood to make a difference re your allergen, as embryos only implant between days 6 and 10. So more likely to be just one of those things, not a chemical, esp as you didn't get a positive.

Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I used to lurk at your site way back when and I still had you on "My Favorites."
Love the new term; better word than the "mini-miscarriages" I'd fabricate in my head to explain why I was getting my period even though THIS TIME I really must have been pregnant. It sucks that PMS and signs of pregnancy are practically the same. can someone say "Cruel World?"

Bad Egg said...

I second the welcome back. Glad to hear from you. Here's hoping this journey to get and stay pregnant is an easy one for you.

Dagny said...

Sorry AF either played tricks on you or that you had a chem. Either way it sucks.

Sorry. :(