Thursday, September 22, 2005

What Fresh Hell Is This?

With apologies to Dorothy Parker, I have to say I'm fresh out witty wry-humored ways to say that INFERTILITY SUCKS. As you might suppose, due to the remarkable prognostic powers of chocolate, I was not the least bit surprised to greet my period yesterday. However. I was not the least bit pleased, either.

So. The new plan, made in consultation with Dr. Smart-Cookie Sweetie-Pie (my RE) is to do a monitored cycle this month, starting with Day 3 bloodwork tomorrow, including an ultrasound to check out the old follicles, *maybe* a trigger shot of HCG, more blood draws and hormone checks around day 21, etc.

It feels scary to admit that I am now no longer even a glamorous bohemian recurrent miscarrier who finds it fun to sleep on the streets so long as the weather is warm. No. I've gone down another rung to the point where I'm such a sad bag lady, there's nothing left in my bag and little hope of putting anything in there any time soon. In short, I feel farther than ever from the day when I'll hold a live baby in my arms.

And I feel seriously annoyed that my total type-A super-good-girl determination to relax all summer long did *not* result in a pregnancy. I drank wine in a foreign country, people. Result? Zip, zilch, nada. That there is conclusive clincal proof that the people who tell you to just relax should go f*ck themselves. So. I am going on record as one tense unhappy not pregnant person.

Behold the autumn of my discontent. Happy equinox everyone.

P.S. Would YOU take a trigger shot of HCG in my circumstances? Multiples are very low on my to-do list...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what the trigger shot would do if you usually ovulate on your own. Is it to get the timing spot on? In which case why not do an IUI and take away one more barrier to conception?

When I was researching this there was some evididence that the shot changes the endometrial lining and affects implantation (in a not good way) but then another piece of research that said during IUI cycles the rate of pregnancy was highest in those who both did the shot and had their own LH surge before taking it - a double whammy perhaps?

Not sure why it would cause multiples if you're not taking drugs?

And I so sympathise about the summer of relaxing. I feel the same way.

Foxxy One said...

I'm so sorry :(

Bad Egg said...

Sorry to hear about the arrival of your period, what a drag. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a break with this infertility stuff lately...

Anonymous said...

You sipped wine in a foreign country and nothing? Yeah there must be a problem. I hope you get things figured out...infertility sucks bad or infertility sucks really bad..no I guess those are not original.

Sorry about your period.

Good luck...

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your period. Having just started mine yesterday, I can empathize with how much that sucks.

I hope that your monitored cycle goes well and that if it doesn't result in a pregnancy that it at least will yield some helpful information (I'm rooting hard for a healthy pregnancy for you this cycle, though.)

I can safely say that I would do the HCG shot if I were in your shoes...because, being a recurrent miscarrier myself, I sort of am in your shoes, and I just did an injectables cycle last month that included an HCG shot. (Not only did it not result in multiples, it didn't result in any pregnancy at all.) But only you know what is best for you. Whatever you decide, I hope that you feel at peace with it, and I wish you all the best.

April said...

I am so incredibly sorry.